The following is a transcript of notes taken from a
at the October 30th "Your City, Your Ideas" dialogue session.
Convenor: Gemma Hickey
Number of Participants: 2
- Need to define why tourists come here
- New facilities are not accessible
- Renovated old facilities are not accessible
- People are not able to get in to some churches or banks (Who would feel good about going to the back or side door ? No one!)
- Transportation is not accessible
- People often park in wheelchair spots and use wheelchair bathroom stalls
- There should not be a 'special' area for people in wheelchairs (isolating). Everyone should work to have those dimensions in new and old buildings.
What will we do now? What needs to happen next?
- Public forum on accessibility
- Community to work with developers
- Education on accessibility issues
- More media attention on this issue
- Engaging the public