Happy City is excited to hire a summer events coordinator! From city parks to city streets, from community centres to Council Chambers, this position will have you working alongside enthusiastic Happy City members and partners to help make our city a better place. Apply now to get involved!
The events coordinator position is funded by the Government of Canada as part of the Canada Summer Jobs program.
The Events Coordinator will be responsible for the development and execution of Happy City’s summer outreach and engagement events in St. John’s. Tasks/Responsibilities will include outreach to and coordination with community partners and stakeholders, volunteer coordination, bookings and logistics, promotion through social and traditional media, conducting research for the Happy City Radio podcast, set up and takedown at events, and representation of Happy City and partners to the community.
A supervisory group including Chair of the Happy City Board, and two other Board Members will regularly meet with the Coordinator to plan work and evaluate progress. The student will also meet periodically with the whole board to set the broad goals of their work. A member of the board will be reachable at any time during work hours in case of an urgent matter or emergency.
Orientation to the organization, ongoing projects and resources will be provided by the supervisory group at the start of the employment period. Feedback will be provided by the supervisory group on an ongoing basis and by the Board at three dates over the summer. There will be a comprehensive wrap-up and review in the final week of the placement. Happy City St. John’s strives to ensure that the student gets as much out of the placement as we do! The student will benefit from exposure to a variety of public consultation activities and civic issues, and will develop skills in the areas of communications, research, event planning, project management, and logistics.
St. John’s – various. Happy City is a member of Common Ground, a co-working office and meeting space on Harvey Road. The Events Coordinator will work from this space as needed.
- Assisting with the implementation of Happy City projects including Summer outreach events, public engagement activities, and preparation for future events;
- Developing a “Neighbourhood Education Plan” to help community groups organize;
- Developing and conducting citizen feedback surveys for outreach activities;
- Preparing short, accessible summaries, blog posts, and infographics outlining the results of events and consultations;
- Conducting research for the Happy City Radio podcast on civic issues;
- Organizing, attending and, as required, coordinating Happy City volunteers at local meetings and summer outreach events (e.g. Farmers’ Market, Lantern Festival);
- Live-tweeting on behalf of Happy City during city council meetings and other events as needed;
- Monitoring and maintaining Happy City social media and web presence; and,
- Liaising with other organizational partners.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong interest in local issues and community development
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Punctuality and adherence to deadlines
- Comfort with working independently
- Easily adapts to evolving priorities and projects
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Experience with event planning
- Understanding of local networks, governance, and services
- Social media literacy
- Experience with volunteer coordination
- Comfort with research and surveying
Hourly pay for this position: $11.40
Please forward a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5:00 PM on Friday, May 24th.